GEONIS solutions with geometric networks and data management in FGDB.
In File Geodatabases (FGDB), NULL values must be explicitly allowed for the "Geometry" data type (column SHAPE). This is a peculiarity of the FGDB. Other databases such as the Personal Geodatabase (MDB) or the Enterprise Geodatabase do not know this restriction. For this reason, after transferring the data from one of these databases to a File Geodatabase, the following problems may occur:
When creating new objects in the FGDB via ArcMap the following message appears:
It only affects objects that are part of a geometric network (here the table WAS_LEITUNG, which is part of the WAS_NET network). If the network is deleted, these objects can be easily created.
FGDB without GlobalIDs
The problem can be fixed with the following Python script for FGDB without GlobalID:
- Copy MDB to FGDB
- Check wether Null values are allowed
- If not, apply script to FGDB
FGDB with GlobalIDs
There is currently no script available for FGDB with GlobalID. There exists a Workaround:
- Copy GlobalIDs to text field
- Export WAS_Leitung to MDB (right-click on WAS_Leitung in ArcCatalog >Export > Geodatabase)
- Replace GlobalIDs in MS Access with text-GlobalIDs.
- Copy WAS_Leitung from MDB to FGDB (using "copy-paste")